Thursday, March 30, 2006

relevant form tabletop manifesto



My tabletop manifesto called for the realization of my written manifesto in a physical form on the top of a table. My written manifesto addresses the overused paradigms of pastoral and picturesque designs within the discipline of landscape architecture that have greatly slowed its progress and potential. I started by focusing on a concrete edger block that I bought from the garden center at Lowe's. Using a bag of Quikrete, I began to manipulate the shapes of the blocks with the intention of creating new, unusual forms in an effort to challenge their existing repetitive and mundayne qualities. I also did not want them to be something that would be desirable by the average mindless consumer, whom I feel plays a large role in the creation and sustaining of landscape architecture's problems. Much to my delight, as I created these new forms they were shaping up to be quite interesting, and I began to feel that I was humiliating the blocks, making the project a success.

No comments:

About

Brooklyn, New York

Archives